Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Knitting

When things go bad, I knit. Lately, my life has taken a turn for the worse, so I've done a lot of knitting.  For some reason it's very therapeutic to me- it doesn't require a whole lot of thinking, but it's something to do with my hands while I puzzle out bigger problems. Knitting is portable, soft, and of course ultimately rewarding.

I always have at least one "back burner" project- that is, a really easy project I can pick up at any time, and that I can leave without worrying. For me, it's usually a scarf. Right now I'm knitting a gray ribbed scarf with leftover yarn from a sweater I made for my mom. It's warm, cozy, and a nice color- perfect for a scarf. I made the pattern myself so when I work on it I'm on autopilot- knit four, purl for, knit four, purl four, knit four, turn, repeat in opposite order. Easy.

My next two projects are a little more difficult- a hat and socks, respectively. I've been wearing a stocking hat I made years ago, and everyone at school wants one now, so I've got to get working on that. It's nice to be liked for something you can give to others. I feel like they genuinely want what I'm doing. The socks are for myself. I found a great pattern online (knitty.com) for a sock with a cool twisted pattern. They're going to be a gorgeous blue-green color, and hopefully warm and cozy. Can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment